Friday, July 18, 2008

"蔬菜" is in the process of vegetating

there once was this little china girl
with XP -Xeroderma Pigmentosum-

it's a kind of condition that is an autosomal recessive genetic disorder of DNA repair in which the ability to repair damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) light is deficient. This disorder leads to multiple basaliomas and other skin malignancies at a young age. In severe cases, it is necessary to avoid sunlight completely. The two most common causes of death for XP victims are metastatic malignant melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma.

In case you didn't get the last paragraph, cause only bio students will probably understand,
It basically means theres been a mutation in her genes. For normal people, when our DNA is exposed to UV light it gets eroded. But we have proteins that are able to carry out DNA repair.
This mechanism is absent from the XP patients' cells.
It leads to growths and tumours and eventually---CANCER.

yeah. it was a pretty sad documentary. but no, i did not cry.
i'll just bet sonia would weep if she saw it:)
it's called
she has this huge tumour and growth on her face.
to cut the long story short,
by the time someone took pity on her and provided free medical treatment,
but by then it was too late.
while they made her more humanly recognisable,
they were unable to stop the cancer from spreading
6 months later, the cancer entered her lungs.
she died.

it's sad. but this is what stood out about her
she was optimistic and cheerful in spite of her situation
even when her classmates teased her mercilessly she still carried on living
and being the person she was.
her only hope and desire was this : that she could go to school and study

it made me think.
that living in Singapore, i'm priveleged and blessed.
to be in this place where i have GOd, my family and my friends by my side
to cheer me on during whatever dark periods i have
there is no reason to give up on life
i love this life that God has given me
i shall face the world with a bright smile on sunshine days and an even brighter one when the rainclouds threaten.

according to sonia, my posts have been depressing and sentimental and emo.
so i shall attempt to liven things up

OHHHH.
i just realised something.
i enjoy smiling to random strangers.
it makes me feel good, especially when they smile back at me.
and it makes me feel even better if they stare at me as though i'm an alien
cause it's unusual in today's society!
i'm extraordinary, and thats the way i live my life.

had PE with menon.
as usual, we exercised more by laughing and building abs than actually runnign around.
ehm. maybe it's caused i was the goal keeper... so... yeah
my team was strong la. so the ball never really reached my half of the court
in the meantime, i found ways to amuse myself.
i repaired the goal post.
i played with a dragonfly
i sang songs to myself.
i counted the number of clouds
i saved a few balls
i ducked when derek swung a hard ball at the goal

i laughed when nana kept calling me 蔬菜:)

eh. i wasn't stoning can?
look at all that i did:)

No comments: